Free ki Advice

One thing that I was saying almost constantly towards the end of my time at MHROD was, “You can either capitalize on what we have done, or you can choose to re-invent the wheel.” Now I have little or no idea about what my dear juniors will do, but I do have some free advice, which by its nature is completely disposable, you can either keep it or you can throw it away without considering it, but I really urge you to read through it.

1.       Make them feel welcome: Welcome the new batch with open arms and make them feel welcome, one of my biggest mistakes was not making the batch feel welcome and wanted at MHROD, I considered it my overzealous work ethic, others might consider it my arrogance. Hindsight is a comfort of the future, not one of the present and we did what we thought was right, as should you. Do what you think is right for the course and not for your own reputations. Reputations are built on sand, merit on stone.
2.       Set the right expectations: There is no bigger let down than unfulfilled expectations, set the right expectations for your juniors, tell them the truth about MHROD, about what we do and where we are. Paint a bright picture for the future and let them know that they are an equal part of the vision that hundreds before them have seen, the vision of an institution worth its weight in gold, an institution that is coveted and envied. 
3.       Do not Coddle: The big thing is to find the fine line between guiding and spoon feeding, remember, these young ladies and gentleman may be your equals, juniors or even superiors. But in MHROD they are the new batch and you the elder, it is your job to guide them, teach them the ways of MHROD but always be open to suggestion and ideas, this is evolution giving us a chance to evolve and change or else we will continue to remain in the rut that we are in today. Even though all this sounds like a lot of work I would suggest that guide, do not spoon feed, give these young ladies and gentleman responsibilities, and have very high expectations from them personally and professionally. “It is better to have betrayed expectations than to have none at all.”
4.       Placements: Now some advice for you, the time is about to come that you will take your places in the great placement tamasha,  it will be the worst and best time of your lives, and take my word for it people change during these 4 months and no one escapes unscathed. You might get placed on the first day and you would want to jump for joy but your best friends will not be placed on the first day, in fact some of your friends may not be able to secure a placement at all, support them and help them but don’t presume to coach them or train them, your luck was good but you were not necessarily better. I wish you all the best, and hope you come out stronger and better than ever before. Another piece of advice, get off the backs of the Placecomm, they are already under enough pressure without you heaping on more, sometimes they need your support, emotional as well as professional. I know that email rants are quite popular @MHROD, but trust me they solve lesser than they create.
5.       The Placement Committee: You have been taught and you have performed, but now this is what counts…the best from me.
6.       Have Fun: My last advice would be to have lots and lots of fun, you are about to cross the threshold where fun was great to where fun is a team outing once a quarter and bitching about teammates. Have a blast, ladies flirt with the good looking guys and gents please be chivalrous towards the ladies that come. Enjoy to the hilt at all the parties and gatherings and enjoy in class and @J.P Tea Stall.

The above is something I wished I was told when I had become a senior but alas, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Disclaimer: Advice free ki hai leni hai to lo warna fenk do…

Comments

  1. oh! ye to genre specific ho gya! chalo, itna to keh hi sakta hu ke agar fir se college gaya to ye advice le ke jaunga! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I wish i Could fly...

Aarambh hai prachanda...

The pyre of Raphael, The rise of the Zen...